Monday, February 21, 2011

Bieber Fever


I know it must feel like we will never escape the era of the teen pop idol. First there was N’Sync, Brittney Spears and the Backstreet Boys. Then I loved Hilary Duff. Then Miley Cyrus tainted the franchise. The Jonas Brothers redeemed it with their boy-band-esque lovability.
            But today’s newest sensation we just cannot get away from is Justin Bieber.
            The Biebs has dominated the big and small screen, the music scene and talk show rounds for the past year. I feel like in the past week I’ve seen more of him than I’ve seen my own roommate.
            He made an appearance at the Grammys. His blunt interview on “Chelsea Lately” made me laugh. His “Glee” tribute made me swoon. But more than anything, his movie, “Justin Bieber: Never Say Never” made me fall in love with him.
            Kudos to him for surging such a marketing strategy, that we can’t get him out of our heads.
            My first impression of the teenage crooner was “Who does this childish and girly sounding kid think he is?”
            But my second impression was, “Wow, he’s cute and talented and too young for me.”
            And my final impression after seeing his movie is “He is an incredible kid.”
            He has amazing determination; he is hard working; he would do anything for a fan. I just hope he comes out the other end with a solid head on his shoulders.
            It is amazing to think he is only 16. At 16 I was having whipped cream fights with my friends and working at Which Wich. I was definitely not selling out Madison Square Garden and running from mobs of fans.
            The movie, while a little conceited, was an honest portrayal of what it takes to make a child superstar. Bieber came from a teen mom and a small town; he just happened to have immense talent and baby face good looks.
            So do I have Bieber Fever? Not a chance.
            I admire the kid for all he’s achieved, but I’m not about to cry if I see him in person. His fans are absolutely ridiculous. The movie certainly showcased that well.
            So in two years we will all probably all forget about Bieber fever, but that’s the circle of show business life.
            Enjoy it while it lasts, Justin, but in the meantime, sing it.
            “And I was like Baby, baby, baby ohh
Like baby, baby, baby noo
Like baby, baby, baby ohh.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment